Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Stress Fracture

My tibia is not a cloud. It is, in fact, a rigid matrix of osseous-stuff that doesn't like to run so much. Apparently.

My friend Sharon, who is studying to be a physical therapist, recommended before my race that I should imagine that my Left Calf was a cloud. I tried doing this around Mile 6 in Florida, and it didn't exactly work.

My strategy for pain-during-long-runs is: Ignore It. Don't turn it into a fluffy cloud or a pink pony. Just pretend it's not there, and it will go away.

I used to think the whole "runner's high" thing was probably a myth. The euphoric haze from running never hit me, and I've always been jealous of people who claimed to experience it. As it turns out, I've probably been experiencing runner's highs all along. Evidence? After my CT half marathon, my shoe was covered in blood. One of my toes was sliced open and it had bled through my sock and shoe. Nasty. But did I feel it? No. Did I feel that cut the next day? Yes! Man, it was a nasty cut! During the run, though, no pain. As it turns out, my runner's high is more like Ibuprofen than Crack. Which is ok with me. I like Ibuprofen a lot.

So, at Mile 6, my Left Calf hurt, and I was like, "are you a fluffy cloud?" and it was like "no, I'm your Left Calf, and I can cuttabitch." And I was like, MUTE Button! And then I didn't hear from my calf again.

Until 2 minutes after the race was over. Then all of a sudden I couldn't walk. Well, I could, but it really hurt. And it hurt like that for a few days. But the pain slowly subsided. Now it only hurts when I go up or down stairs, sit down, stand up, or when the dumb chihuahua-thing locates the spot that hurts and tries to dig through my skin and muscle with her ridiculous, spiky little feet. (I love you, LuLu)

So I'm cured! Right? No. Since I'm married to that doctor guy, he made me get an appointment to see a doctor, get an MRI, the whole bit. Of course the MRI showed a stress fracture...

Which I got to see! So cool! It was like looking at my leg from the inside out!

...Anyway, orthopedic surgeon says, "Foot in boot, crutches, lots of weeks, no- you can't run, bye!"

So... I guess that's it for the running this season. More time for beer?

2 comments:

  1. Also. I would like to point out that my recommendation to imagine it as a cloud was not the official recommendation of a PT student - it was the recommendation of a friend who also likes to run/row/swim despite the pain that obviously needs the attention of a physical therapist (or sometimes doctor)

    ReplyDelete