Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Putting Life in Perspective

The very minute I published my last post, an email arrived from my childhood friend Garen.

A little over a year ago, Garen's mom passed away from ALS. His mom, Leslie, was an amazing person who I was blessed to have in my life. In addition to being good friends and wonderful neighbors, Garen's family has been like my family for as long as I can remember. It was Garen's dad, Rod, who got me interested in biology. It was Leslie who taught my brother how to drive stick shift in her little red Miata.

In honor of his mother, and to fund research for a cure to ALS, Garen has been training to complete an Ironman in Cozumel. His fundraising goal was $20,000, and 19 days before his race, he's exceeded that goal by $600. While this is an enormous amount of money, it's not nearly enough. 

Throughout his training, Garen has really put life into perspective. He's using a difficult time in his life to do something incredible. Half marathons are difficult (for me, at least), and an Ironman is REALLY difficult. In the email he just sent out to all of his friends and family, he pointed out that compared to the battle his mother fought, the Ironman is completely doable. The strength his mother showed in the final year of her life and the strength that Garen is showing now is humbling.

I don't often ask people to donate to causes, but I want to at least make everyone aware of this one. Please check out the website below, and consider supporting research for a cure for ALS.

www.firstgiving.com/garen

And GO GAREN! I'm proud to have you as a friend! I'll be thinking of you in Cozumel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment