Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Plan

I can't say that I feel very old. I still get mistaken for a student at some schools. Last year, a mother at Parent Orientation for the program I teach demanded to know my age before I taught her kid. When I tell people that I own a house with my husband, I generally get two reactions. 1) Aren't you too young to own a house, or 2) Aren't you too young to be married.

That being said, I may only be 26, but most of my friends are turning 30-years-old soon. Thirty sounds very, very old to me. I managed to marry my sweetie when he was 29.33. Yet, it's quite possible that I may turn 30 some day too. Sigh.

I have to say, there's a piece of me that is caught up in the meme of 30 before 30. It's comforting to have that final list of youthful, even juvenile, experiences to justify last ditch efforts to act like a fool. Because, as we all know, the minute you turn 30, all you've got is a mortgage and a long to-do list. I'm pretty sure that the world turns black and white like a reverse-Wizard-of-Oz.

I think I decided to write my 30 before 30 list because I'm competitive. If others could write a list, so could I! And gosh-darnit, I'll finish it too!

I could write about my list- Bucket List or Buried Life style, but honestly, most of it's boring. I want to see a moose in Maine, I want to teach my dumb cocker spaniel three new tricks, and I want to finish five quilts. No one wants to hear about those things. And if they do, they need a hobby. Or they need to come to my house and try to teach the dumb cocker spaniel because I'm pretty sure that will be the most difficult task.

I've decided that I should focus this blog on two pieces of my list. The first is to run a half marathon in every state, and maybe Washington DC, and maybe Puerto Rico. The second is my noble quest to try and record 500 different beers.

I am not a runner. Runners like to run, and they get runner's highs. I do not like to run, but I feel a sense of accomplishment when I am done. I will not run all of the states before I turn 30. That would make me dead. I would like to finish 13 more half marathons in the next 3.5 years. I've already finished 4, which I will post about at some point.

I may not be a runner, but I am a beer drinker. Not a connoisseur, mind you. I just like the stuff. A lot. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to post about each of these beers, but I do hope that these posts will always be enjoyable and lucid. Bear with me.

 I went to Maine last weekend. Didn't see a moose.

No comments:

Post a Comment