By Tuesday, it was clear that it was going to be a trying week at work. Luckily, I had a nice evening of drinks planned with some amazing people. Brandon, Jen, Sam C, and I headed down to Cantina to catch up.
Growing up, Brandon (aka Broder- but only I can call him that...) was a typical younger brother. By that I mean that we feuded over everything. On half days in elementary school, we would return home to an empty house for a few hours. My only memories of those days involve intense arguing over everything, from which shows to watch on television to how to correctly microwave a bowl of soup.
Now, though, Broder and I consider ourselves friends. The reason for this change: Beer. Ever since we realized that we both like beer, we've had something to bond over. It's pretty good stuff. Broder is also preparing to get married to a wonderful lady. One reason why Jen is so wonderful is that she makes sure Broder stumbles home safely after a night of sibling bonding.
Anyway, we're at Cantina on a Tuesday evening, with Sam C. Sam C is a great person from high school, who now works with me and Jen (because, it's a small world after all). This is where they've convinced me that I should blog about this beer-adventure, and I've discussed my goals and strategies. After deciding to focus my attention on seasonal brews, I get a Gritty McDuff's Halloween Ale... with cinnamon-sugar on the rim!!!
In any other situation, cinnamon and sugar with a beer sounds absolutely awful. Something about Halloween-flavored beer makes it all okay. In fact, it was better than okay, it was fantastic! Casey Rating: 9 out of 10 points. The beer reminded me of all the things I like about Halloween. It was a little bit spicy, with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg that herald the season of Thanksgiving pies. It was crisp, just like the dry air in the fall that makes leaves turn dead and chaps my lips. The cinnamon-sugared rim made me think of the Halloween candy that children are preparing to obtain and eat until they are sick.
Without the cinnamon-sugar rim, this beer would have been totally fine. The additional sweetness made it great! It had been a long two days of work, and I was in need of a happy moment. Three awesome friends and a beer that tasted like pumpkin pie were perfect for the occasion. Yahoo! for good beer and fantastic people!
No comments:
Post a Comment