Tuesday, October 19, 2010

#18 Ipswich Harvest Ale

In addition to raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, one of my favorite things is having a nice, cold beer after a hockey game. My team, the Cheetahs, usually plays late on Sunday nights, and the beer is a nice cushion between freedom and Monday. I look forward to that cold, hoppy goodness so much that I peel off my 40-pounds of equipment in 10 minutes or less. Get me to the beer!

This past weekend, the Cheetahs had two games. One at 9:30pm on Saturday and the second at 6pm on Sunday. We tied both games (which is really good for us!). And we only had one sub on the bench for the Sunday game. So much skating. Wants Beer!

I was excited, too, because I had purchased a random assortment 6-pack before the weekend. New Beers!

Alas, it was not an excellent weekend for beer sampling. I tried 3 beers- the Haverhill Brewery Leatherlips Pale Ale, Guinness Extra Stout, and the Ipswich Harvest Ale. Honestly, the only one worth trying was the Ipswich Harvest Ale (in my humble-ish opinion).

The Harvest Ale was tasty, but it didn’t have the “harvest” flavor that’s in so many Fall beers. It lacked any hint of spice that reminds me of pies. Instead it was full of hop flavor and had hints of citrus. On the Casey scale, it rated a 7 out of 10. I’d drink it again, and I’d even recommend it.

As for the other two after-hockey beers I sampled, I have something to say to you, too… The Cheetah’s 2nd Period Team Cheer: “1, 2, 3 SUCK LESS!”

2 comments:

  1. I discovered two beers in the last two weeks that I think you'd really like:

    1) Troegs Dead Reckoning Porter
    2) Dogfish Head Black and Blue

    ...that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo! Were they at the Cantina? Do we need to have a beer date?

    ReplyDelete