Sunday, January 29, 2012

#91 Schmaltz Hop Manna

Have you ever had one of those weeks where each day runs into the next without a break? Even though your head technically hits the pillow for a few hours, your mind screams with to-do lists. You wake up, and instead of feeling refreshed, your heart is pounding and your brain is already planning six moves ahead.

Last week was one of those weeks for me. I got through each day purely on adrenaline. Nothing terrible happened. Work was busy, but completely tolerable. There was just enough stuff going on outside of normal work hours that I felt like I couldn't stop. All week long, I was humming, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming." Wake up at 5am, busy until midnight, repeat.

I was lucky to have finished the bulk of my to-do lists by Friday at 5pm. I was ready for my mind to settle down and go into weekend-mode. What better way is there to settle your brain than with a nice, hoppy IPA and a beer-buddy?

I haven't posted about a specific beer in a long time, but Schmaltz Hop Manna inspired me get writing. Sarah and I met Aaron at Highland Kitchen on Friday evening. They had a special of Buttermilk Fried Chicken Wings and their Beer of the Moment was Hop Manna. We also ordered Ricotta and Mozzarella Fritters.

I felt like I was cheating on my husband. Cheese and fried chicken are two of Vick's favorite foods. And while he doesn't care for beer all that much, it felt sort of mean to be imbibing while he was at home, walking and feeding the dogs. The cold, refreshing taste of hoppy beer went down so easily, and it didn't fill me up. So, even though I felt guilty, I could keep eating fried cheese and chicken. What's a wife to do?

There was only one way to remedy this cruel situation. To make things right again, I brought Vick to Highland Kitchen the next night. Buttermilk Fried Chicken Wings were still on the specials menu and our marriage was saved. Also, the Hop Manna was just as good the second night as it was the first. And so were the fried cheese balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment